3/18/11

Keeping My Cool...

When I checked our thermometer and it said 67 degrees (!!!), I grabbed Lovebug and headed for the nearest park. Good thing he is currently obsessed with his to-die-for L.L. Bean snow boots... half the place was still covered in snow!

And, like any little boy, guess which side Lovebug wanted to play on?? Yup, the snow covered one.... Aggh! Look at all that non-snowy-drenched goodness over there!! And there we were, in the deepest part of the snow, on the school bus, singing away.




Cold ankles or not, I have to admit, I really didn't mind. You see, it feels like Lovebug is getting so old... so fast... that I pretty much just want to be a fly on the wall of his baby-ness, while it is still here. Does that make sense??




For example, Lovebug said, "Da-da," for the first time last Memorial Day. When did he say, "Mommy"? The first week in November!!! I about died when he said it, and begged him to say it again, and again, and again.

Fast forward 4 months and, A) I am ready to change my name from "Mommy" to something he cant pronounce, and B) I am no longer "Mommy," I'm "Mom".

Seriously, what? He already calls me "Mom," like we're on some sort of nickname, real casual, basis here. I see this only as a sign of him getting older, and needing me less. The second my child started pulling away and flexing his independence, I started clinging, hard core. He is just too young to be old!!

So, today at the park when some bratty little old-enough-to-know-better-has-no-manners-or-class-and-a-bad-haircut-to-boot, little girl ran in front of Lovebug not once, not twice, but three times when he went to get on a toy... clinging overprotective "Mom" showed her face.

Lovebug, the innocent little peach that he is... just looked at me, like, "Mom, why is this big girl taking everything I want?" I tried to be nice, but the kid was ruthless. I looked for her Mother, which was dumb, because if her mother was any good at her job she would have taught her kid not to be such a little shit. So, I grabbed Lovebug's arm and dragged him to the other side of the playground.

I know it was stupid and petty of me, but I couldn't help it, I was cursing her under my breath. She literally watched Lovebug put his little love leg up on a "motorcycle," and knocked him out of the way, hopping on it from the other side!!! She did it again with the "butterfly," and once more with the "rocket ship". The girl was like 7 years old for crying out loud! As her mom blabbed away on her cell phone, ignoring her dying-for-attention kids, I boiled over. I was seriously pissed, it was bad enough that she was knocking down a kid who is less than 2 years old, but come on... into the snow?! Three times!

I have no clue how I am ever going to make it through elementary school, middle school, high school...with all the mean kids out there, just waiting to push Lovebug off every last motorcycle he encounters? He's going to eventually tell me to shut my mouth. One day, he is going to be so independent that he wont even call me anything, let alone "Mom." He will probably eventually stand up for himself, and tell the mean kids to shove it.

And me? I'm just gonna keep lifting weights, and start going after their Mommy's.

1 comment :

  1. The big kids suck at playgrounds. My kids are now "the thugs" and I am always reminding them to be careful of the little kids. Mine aren't perfect but I hope they would never be mean like that little girl. And I am now the mom who gets to sit on the bench and chat while the kids run amok!

    ReplyDelete

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017