3/25/16

The Case of the Budful Picture

It was bedtime.

I walked upstairs, like I do every night, to check on the big kids and tuck them into their beds.

Because this is real life, and not Facebook, no one was in their beds.

I walked into my Girlfriend's room and she said, "Mommy! Look at the beautiful picture I made you!"

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, my Boyfriend came flying through the door.

He started yipping in my face, "Mom! But Mom! She..."

I cut him off, "I need you to not yip in my face at bedtime, it is her turn, I'll be in your room in a second."

"But Mom! But Mom she!"

He kept persisting and pointing at his sister and trying to get the words out and I quickly shushed him out the door with a... "Two minutes, in two minutes you can tell me anything you want, when it is your turn."

I try really hard to give each kid their own time at the end of the day, it makes us all feel more special I think, and I try not to ever budge on it.

So as far as I was concerned, whatever Boyfriend had to say, could wait a few more minutes.

So I'm back to Girlfriend. She looks so damn adorable in her little hand me down baby doll jammies. She climbs up into my lap and looks at me with those big brown eyes and tells me all about the beautiful picture that she made me.

I can hear Boyfriend wailing something from his room as Girlfriend is stroking my hair and telling me I'm beautiful, she loves me, she made this picture just for me.

I'm asking her what it is and she's saying just some beautiful circles for my beautiful mom.

She tells me that Boyfriend wrote the words on the top of her picture and I'm thinking of course, that must be what all the yipping was about.

I can tell that she is just so proud of this "budful" picture, she asks if I'll take her picture with it, and so I do.



I tuck her into bed and close her door.

I am holding my budful picture under my arm as I walk into Boyfriend's room.

His back is to me, he's in his little boxer briefs and I think to myself how gangly he is getting... so old and long.

He turns then, and I can see that he has been crying... that he is still, crying.

I'm so surprised, because I wasn't mean I was just like, "Dude, you get your time in two minutes, chill till then..." he isn't usually so sensitive.

I begin.. "What's wrong Buddy? Girlfriend told me how you were such a great big brother and wrote the words on her beautiful picture for her... why are you sad?"

And he's all: "THAT'S MY PICTURE! SHE STOLE IT! I DREW THAT PICTURE FOR YOU! IT'S YOUR EYE!"

That little sneaky Girlfriend of mine.

I gave Boyfriend a huge bear hug, pretty much just pulled his gangly little legs out from under him and pounced on him like a cheetah on the floor.

He's like.. "Mom! I cant breathe!"

The poor kid is such a good boy and his sister is always pestering him, stealing his toys, bothering him, beating him up.

Boyfriend and I snuggled for awhile, and I promised to frame it on my dresser... we took his picture with the picture too, to add to the collection.


At the end of the day, I feel like it's so important to make sure everyone is right with their day... with you... with themselves.

Sometimes, I want to skip this step... I want to just send them up to their beds and not follow 10 minutes later to tuck them in and make sure everyone is ready for the next morning.

I want to just stay on the couch because hello... couch.

But that 2 minutes at the end of the day, that little "last call," as I like to refer to it.... is something that is so important to them, and to me.

If for no other reason than for those 2 minutes, they stay in their freaking beds.

Lord knows the second I walk out the door they are bouncing off the walls again.








No comments :

Post a Comment

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017