4/30/14

He Swallowed A Fly

Four year olds are so funny... they take everything very literally.

Boyfriend swallowed a fly today and instantly went from a happy, spazzy kid on the swing set to a puddle of sadness.

He stopped playing altogether and instead crawled into my lap and wrapped his arms around my neck shortly after swallowing said fly.

After a little while he asked me to rub his back.

He sat quietly on my lap for a long time, maybe twenty minutes, before he whispered quietly into my ear.

"Mom. I swallowed a fly."

I was all, "I know Bud, that's okay, you'll probably poop it out."

And he was all, "No Mom. It's not okay. Don't you remember what happened to the yady?"

"The lady?" I had no idea what he was talking about.

And then he quietly whispered in my ear... "Yeh, the yady... who swallowed a fly... perhaps she'll die."

He looked me in my eyes then and even though it was the cutest and funniest thing he had ever said or believed in, I could tell that he was genuinely really freaking scared that he would die.

His eyes filled with tears and he asked me to, "Set him up," on the couch.

I carried him inside and was about to start him a Sippie, pillow, blanket, movie combo, when he said, "I'm gonna set myself up today Mom."

He walked around and slowly picked up each of his Transformers, and then went and laid on the couch.

Before he could say it, I knew what he was doing... he was getting ready for the fly to do him in, and he wanted to be surrounded by his guys when it happened.

He truly believed the fly was going to kill him.


It was the saddest and funniest and sweetest thing ever.

I just couldn't even handle it.

I tried endlessly to convince him that swallowing a fly doesn't mean that you are actually going to die... but he insisted that he wanted to just lay with his guys and be alone.



An hour went by and he came and found me working in Boo's nursery.

"Hey Mom..." he began.

"Yeh Bud... how you doing, how's that fly in your belly?"

"Well Mom... this is taking too yong. I think I'm actually gonna yive instead."

"Oh phew Bud, I was so worried."

"Yeh... I guess the song is wrong after all."

For some reason this whole exchange made me so proud of my innocent little lamb chop.

I know for sure that moments like these are going to be few and far in between in the future.

So for now, I'm gonna enjoy every last one of them.

And as for my fly eating four year old.

I could just put that kid in a pie and eat him up because man, if that wasn't the most delicious and ridiculous day of my life... humoring him while he laid on his kiddie transformer death bed.

If I've said it once, I've said it one thousand times...

The world is a wonderful and weird place through the eyes of a child.


4 comments :

  1. My 2.5 year old loves that song and I find it so disturbing. I believe at the end, the lady swallowed a horse and died.

    I'm glad your guy had a different fate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Transformer death bed. This is too funny. He's such a character! -Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor guy, but such a cute story. Yours always are :p

    ReplyDelete

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017