3/22/13

Somethin' Different

One night a few weeks ago while Husband was traveling for work, I looked at Lovebug, who was snuggled next to me on the couch at 8:15, and said...

"Hey. How about instead of me putting you to bed right now... we go get into my bed and watch movies??"

I am super lonely when Husband is gone, so even though I knew Lovebug would be excited about the offer, I was actually thinking more of myself when I asked... because I wanted some company.

Selfish? Maybe, but it ended up making both of our days...

I didn't have to be alone, and he got to stay up late. Win.

I'm pretty sure Lovebug didn't even give me an answer, he just flew off the couch and up the stairs like a rabid squirrel.

He was in our bed and under the covers before I even got off the couch...

Probably because he thought I might change my mind if he hung around... smart kid right??

The kids both still come into our bed every morning when they wake up, but they are never, ever in our bed at night.

Being that it was just Lovebug and I, (Girlfriend was already asleep)... it was a super special treat for him.

We were both just so happy to do something different... it was such a simple thing, and so awesome.

It was just us, and the glowing TV screen

Lovebug had insisted on "no yights,"and was ecstatic when I said OK... good thing three year old boys are easily impressed.


Lovbug's cuteness is killin' it in this picture... the kid thought he won the freaking lottery.

Before long Girlfriend heard us giggling and I couldn't help myself, I grabbed her, too.

Even though it was well past both their bedtimes at this point, I was so happy to have the company, and snuggly babies in my arms that I didn't even care.


Clearly Girlfriend is confused by our energy level at 10 pm.

Boyfriend's like..... WOOO WE'RE UP LATE! PARTY!


It wasn't a big thing, it was just a different thing.

One that we had never done before.

 It was so different from our norm in fact, that it seemed almost like we were breaking the rules.

Which is weird because, hello, I make the rules.

It was wonderful, and something I can't wait to do again... I absolutely loved surprising them, and myself.

I went to bed that night with a buoyant heart and a smile on my face... all because I dragged my kids into bed with me for an hour after dark.

Who woulda thought?



5 comments :

  1. Every so often I have to tell myself .. "it's okay to do so and so, I make the rules" Now that H is getting a little older if he is really sad for some reason during the night (well like before 8pm lol) I will bring him into our room and watch some tv for a half an hour. Normally I'm like oh my god this is going to mess up EVERYTHING... but I have to tell myself he isn't a newborn anymore so rocking him in the chair is a waste of time because the fatty pudge says "dowwwwn" and thinks it's time to play. Thats also when I am like holy crap, I am someones parent... and someday they will want to be sick in mommy and daddys bed and cuddle. crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel like no matter what we do, we are going to eff them up... why not enjoy them during the process??

      Delete
  2. I wrote a long post. it didnt work. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every so often I have to tell myself .. "it's okay to do so and so, I make the rules" Now that H is getting a little older if he is really sad for some reason during the night (well like before 8pm lol) I will bring him into our room and watch some tv for a half an hour. Normally I'm like oh my god this is going to mess up EVERYTHING... but I have to tell myself he isn't a newborn anymore so rocking him in the chair is a waste of time because the fatty pudge says "dowwwwn" and thinks it's time to play. Thats also when I am like holy crap, I am someones parent... and someday they will want to be sick in mommy and daddys bed and cuddle. crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017