11/8/12

Success

It's funny how as we get older, our definition of success changes...

And how it means different things, for different parts of our lives.

When I started this blog... "blog" success... meant completing one full month... writing as much as I could, for thirty days.

Then after a month, success meant getting a few followers... ten... maybe twenty.

I'll never forget the first time I got 100 hits in a day, then 200, and 300... it was such a rush like... holy shit... people are actually reading this!

Eventually, like all bloggers... I started to get frustrated with how many readers I did not have... how many hits I was not getting...

I started to compare myself to other more successful bloggers, and I wondered if maybe it was time to
close up shop altogether.

And then a funny thing happened.

I got this card in the mail from my big brother and his wife.


Turns out.... my two year blogiversary was this past Monday... and I didn't even know it... I completely forgot.

It was just another day, and I just kept on blogging like it never even happened (because really, if it hadn't been for my brother and sister in law, I would have forgotten it did).

So then I got to thinking... maybe the way I view success has changed again, but I've been too busy blogging to notice.

I've been doing a Giveaway a week lately, I am currently ranked #7 on Top Baby Blogs, and I am getting about 1,000 hits a day...

I definitely haven't met all of my blogging goals... but these small milestones are big ones for me.

They are also just little perks along the way, and have nothing to do with why I started this blog.

I started it... as a way to remember all of the nonsense that goes on in our daily lives....

To help my family stay connected to us, and our Bugs.

To use my brain, and find myself...

Because let's face it, sometimes having a baby and being a Stay At Home Mom equals losing yourself... starting a blog helped me remember who I was.

So... how do I measure success today??

Well, I've got a textbook full of family memories at my fingertips... so there's that.

And I think... I have a few non-related to me regular readers, who enjoy what I have to say.

I've made memories, and I've learned a lot about myself as a parent, and as a writer.

I've got two entire full years of our life recorded here... for us, and the rest of the world to see laugh at...

As a child I would write in a diary for exactly one week before losing it or getting bored..

So to say that I surprised even myself when I actually committed to this blog thing... is an (HUGE) understatement.

I know that these are the longest days and shortest years of our lives...

I am so happy to have two full years of mundane-probably-not-all-that-interesting-to-anyone-else stuff written down for us to cherish as the kids get older, and start to hate us.

And so... I choose to measure my success in the weight of the memories that I have captured, and shared.... and by the amount of support that I get from family, friends, and strangers.

So Happy 2 year Blogiversary to me... and if you read regularly... thanks...

You're too kind.




**Special thanks to Timmy and Kit for supporting me since Day 1.




3 comments :

  1. Happy Blogiversary to you! I'm hoping to make it to 1 year, but who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all of your success! I do the same thing, judging my blog by the number of followers I have. BUT if I was to do what's necessary to get a bunch of followers, it would make my blog less fun for me. I blog because I enjoy it and I only blog about things I truly like sharing. Your blog is perfect, just the way it is. :)

    http://www.chezglaser.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... sometimes it feels like to get a ton of followers you have to prostitute your blog out there and comment on nine billion blogs a day! Who has the time?!

      Delete

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017