11/24/12

Donating My Hair; Update

Before you dive into this one... just know that I am not the type of blogger that just badmouths people because I have a platform, and an audience.

I thought long and hard about whether or not to post this, and in the end, decided that what I have to say may help people make an educated decision about what organization to send their donation to.

And so... here goes:

You might remember that I chopped off 10 inches of my hair last winter and donated it to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program....


Well, I have an update for you... kind of.

I feel compelled to write this because I kinda sorta begged you all to donate your hair too... you know, so we could all make one wig and be one big wig happy family... or something?

Just look at the chart I made when two of my fantastic beautiful friends and readers chopped their hair after reading my post... it has stars!


Anyway... I knew, from doing my research that after you send in your hair, Pantene sends you back a letter, letting you know that they have received your chopped ponies, thank you for your donation... yada, yada, yada.

I waited patiently for this letter to arrive until July... and then I sent Pantene a message on Facebook kinda saying,

"Hey... No big deal, but I never got a letter... not like I'm looking for a pat on the back here, but what gives??"

To their credit, I heard right back immediately...like: Oh! So sorry! Will look into it... and then, nothing.

I tried again over the next few months, and got more of the same...

I know I could have just let it go, and not told you all that they potentially lost or never received my donation... but you see.. I had plans for that letter.

It's not like I was hoping for someone to say... you have the most beautiful hair in the world, thank you! we love you! you're beautiful!

It is much simpler and less narcissistic than all that...

I wanted to put it in my Girlfriend's Time Capsule.

I thought... How cool, if in 17 years there was a cure for cancer!

And she was all: How weird Mom! You DONATED your hair?! Who would want your hair?!

I had my heart set on that conversation taking place... and so, I harassed someone (probably an intern, or receptionist, definitely someone who had nothing to do with my ponytail) at Pantene for months on end.

And the final verdict?

Nothing.

The sad news and update is... I have no idea where my ponytails went.

In October, they told me quickly in an email that their stationary was on back order (since February??), but I should know that my hair was received, and my letter will come.

I know. Talk about being a slave to your stationary.

I would have been way happier with something like:

"We received it way back in March, our bad!"

Or... "I see here that it got lost in Texas, but eventually reached us in Ohio (or whatever)"...

Alas, there was no explanation... just... "know that it was received, your letter will come."

No offense Pantene, but I'll believe it when I see it...and until then...

I will continue to think that my hair was tossed in a friggin' dumpster somewhere.

I got that letter way back on October 24... and still nothing.

Hello... by my calendar it is ALMOST DECEMBER!

Fact is.... they more or less don't seem to care too much about my literally long, lost ponies.

You know... as much as hair is a privilege, and not one that everyone gets to enjoy...

It is still a big deal to chop off 10 inches of your hair for someone else... if it wasn't, everyone would be doing it.

So, to say that I am a little disappointed with how Pantene handled this situation, is an understatement.

Hair is not a bag of old clothes...

And if it was, I would have just cut my hair myself and handed it to the pimple-y kid at Good Will...

Like... here kid. Donation. Yes I want a receipt for my taxes. Bye hair... have a nice life.

Cause that's the thing... I did want my hair to have a nice life...

With someone who needed it.

All that to say: I would definitely donate my hair again. It affected me far less than I expected it would, and I was proud to help someone else find their strength and womanhood again.

I am hopeful that my hair got to Pantene, got cut, washed, dried, and sewn up into a cute little bob.

I would recommend donating your hair to anyone, it was an empowering feeling, and no sweat off my back, because I have no reason to appreciate my hair... and for that, I am blessed.

However... I would not go through Pantene again.

I believe that each and every ponytail received should get notification that not only has it been received, but that you did a good thing.

So, if you are like me... and never heard that anyone got your ponytail... if you have no idea where your chopped hair lives right now... let me tell you:

You did a good thing.

And I'm proud of you.

___________________________________

UPDATE:

I received this letter on December 26, 2012... 10 months and one week after I donated my hair.

Thanks Pantene, so glad you were able to re-order your stationary.




3 comments :

  1. How crappy. I'd be mighty peeved, too - Pantene have handled that really badly.

    A girlfriend donates her hair on a regular basis, every few years (her hair grows freakishly fast!), to an organisation called Locks of Love. Maybe look them up next time.

    Good on you, at any rate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same and sent it to Locks of Love a few years back. They did respond, but I have always felt a little torn about it because I know that some people question what they do with the hair. Sigh.

    At the end of the day, I did it for the right reasons (my Dad was fighting cancer), and you did it for the right reasons, even if the end result isn't quite what we had hoped for.

    Good for you. I'm probably doing it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of an article I saw today about some NFL cheerleaders who shaved their heads to raise money for the coach who had cancer. I thought that was so amazing because hair is a huge part of a woman's identity/femininity.

    Anyway, I hope your hair was donated and created into a wig for a woman in need. You looked amazing with that short cut, btw. You should donate again when it gets long enough but maybe to a different charity.

    ReplyDelete

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017