6/27/12

29 in 29 Update... Getting Henna

When I made my 29 in 29 list, I thought a lot about how very little I use my brain as a Stay at Home Mom.

People laugh when I say that, but it's the truth... not much thinking goes into butt wiping, you know??

When I made my list I really wanted to learn new things, and educate myself.

This past weekend my sweet friend, V, from the Gym, who I keep referring to as, "A real Indian..." gave me henna on both feet.

I keep stressing the authenticity of my henna because I pretty much always associate henna with something cheap and black that you get at the Jersey Shore.

But V, who had never applied it to anyone until me (but has gotten it 40+ times herself), taught me all about the history of the dye... and it does not include a boardwalk in Jersey.


The cone you see in V's hand she bought at an Indian store for $2.

For those of you out there with teenagers pestering you for a tattoo... I would totally go get a cone of henna paste for two bananas and let them try it out for a week or two, until it washes off.

Not a bad idea, right??

Especially because, if I am going to be honest... there is a reason you don't see a ton of white people walking around with henna.

It's because we don't have beautiful, tan, olive-y skin to set it off.

Henna looks terrible on white people.

There I said it.

I am happy I learned about henna, and got to spend time with my friend, who taught me about some of her customs, and drew like crazy all over my feet... but....


I look ridiculous in henna.

A man in the grocery store even stopped to point and stare at my feet the other day.

I know.

It's not the henna's fault.. it's my skin's fault.

I am too freaking pale to pull it off, sad but true.

There is a reason it looks beautiful on Indian women... because they're skin is not white.


But it's okay... because I am totally embracing my lily white skin meets dark coppery henna.


I love that I can educate people around me a little bit about the process...

That the paste goes on wet and dries like hard frosting...


...That you have to use lemon juice on a cotton ball and re-wet the hardened henna every half hour, for four hours.

After four hours, you scrape off the hard crusty frosting shell to reveal the dye on your skin. 

V says that brides are the best at keeping henna really beautiful, and making it last the longest, because they have nothing else to do pretty much... just get married, and take care of their hands and feet.

Interesting, right??

V was super patient with me, and didn't get annoyed when I asked 97 questions... or make fun of me because I am sure more than half of them were dumb.

I loved taking a peek into another culture, and stepping outside my daily life of Pampers, play dates, and piggy back rides.


So, here is my list today:

To see other updates, check here, and here.

29 in my 29th

1- Waterski (I attempted this endlessly as a child and could never stand up on those bloody skis).

2- Sing karaoke in a bar.

3- Watch the Wizard of Oz. (I have never seen it start to finish. I know.)

4- Eat Sushi.

5- Back squat 200 pounds.

6- Do a strict pull up.

7- Plant a garden (and not kill it).


8- Fly in a plane with sky divers (I will not be diving). (I am nervous just typing that)

9- Write letters to my children for them to open on their 18th birthdays.

10- Go on vacation with my husband... just the two of us.

11- Sew a dress for my daughter.

12- Have my writing published... anywhere.

13- Learn to decorate cakes.

14- Take a shot with my Husband.... in almost 5 years of marriage, and 10 years together... we have never done this.

15- Get real henna on my foot.

16- Eat lunch at a Vineyard with my Mom, sisters,and sister in law... actually try a sip of wine.

17- Make homemade ice cream with the Bugs.

18- Make a stepping stone with my family... put it in the garden that I am not going to kill.

19- Re-learn all the continents.

20- Learn the states in alphabetical order.

21- Go up in a stunt (like I did as a high school and college cheerleader...)

22- Learn how to use the grill; cook something on it.

23- Take Lovebug on a Ferris Wheel.

24- Take the Bugs on a Ferry ride (my first).

25- Take a trapeze class.

26- Make a ginger bread house with the Bugs (my first).

27- Learn how to mow the lawn on a tractor.

28- Go snow skiing (I used to do this as a kid, but stopped well before age 8).

29- Play 9 holes of golf, drive the cart.
 



1 comment :

  1. You know, my family could help with two things on that list. Hubby was a cheerleader at UConn and could do a lift with you ... and we have a MasterCraft ski boat ... with a new boom to help people learn to ski. You would just have to come to New Hampshire ... :o)

    ReplyDelete

Say something nice, go:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Our Tiny Place 2017